Wednesday, 7 May 2014

GW37 Review; Our Collective DGW Experience


Well, the gameweek began with one thing and one thing only on everybody's minds.... 
How's Rooney's stomach bug?  Or his groin?  Or his epiglottis? Good Lord I hope he hasn't hurt his epiglottis! Thankfully Ryan Giggs cleared everything up and set everyone (if by everyone you mean Ryan Giggs) at ease with a detailed, forthcoming disclosure during his weekly press conference. So, certain of the possibility that Rooney may or may not play and may or may not be sick and may or may not be hurt, FPL Eve began in earnest....


As always, I took in the information, or lack thereof, with casual interest and a calm, rational approach. Certainly this gave me food for thought, but getting in a tizzy wasn't going make things any better.

As I coolly and calmly began to research possible transfer alternatives, the conversations regarding how best to respond to the uncertainty set the Twitter world alight.


First, reigning FPL World Champion Matt Martyniak, (aka @spiderm4tt) sat down for his weekly Friday Night Team Talk to rev things up.


Fly put on his big boy pants and boldly made the decision that no one seemed ready to make yet. I, at the time, although cool and calm as ever, was still deliberating the fine points involved in another transfer. After reading his bold declaration, I returned to my reserved, sophisticated state of FPL calmness, took a long drag from my £1,000 pipe, summoned my butler to deliver my daily paper, and muttered, "Attaboy Fly; nice job"

 Then I found out that Chief, Matej and I were all picking young Connor "5 goals in 3 matches" Wickham in our weekly picks. This made me feel really good and that if I'm gonna be wrong again I'll have some company. Strength in numbers, fellas!


 The inevitable price rise forecasts start to come in.....



The tension continued to build.....

Then Matt got hungry...



Pretty soon a few more daredevils with cajones made of steel finalized their decisions and shared them with the group....

As for me, I had a bit of non FPL related business to attend to in the evening and blessed with an uncanny ability to compartmentalize my emotions, I did not have a care in the world, yet decided to stay up a little bit later than usual - "just because". In the wee hours of gameday, with nerves of steel and without blinking, I calmly pulled the plug on a small 8-point transaction moving Rooney out and bringing Mata in before fluffing my pillow, laying an unwavering head onto it, and drifting off into a deep, peaceful sleep. The FPL world around me, however, was in fulll blown chaos; and it was only about to get worse in the early-morning build up to DGW37 deadliine. With Rooney the central character on everyone's minds, it went a little like this....





























And before you know it, the games were ready to begin.  Everybody took a deep breath and sat glued to the telly and Twitter.....


























































































































And there was Sunday in the books.... oye vay it's been quite the gameweek so far....what will tomorrow have in store?  Check out part 2 to find out ->  http://fantasypremierleaguehints.blogspot.com/2014/05/gw37-review-our-collective-dgw_8.html