Monday, 27 January 2014

Chief's FPL Team - Gameweek 23: Jan Wildcard Edition

Disclaimer: *FPLH reserves the right to change this team at any time. Any changes made will most likely be confirmed on FPLH's Twitter account.


RETAINED:

Suarez
More goals than apps so far. Partnership with Sturridge benefits both. Expect more goals!

Eriksen
Spurs' attacking engine.  His fine form of late shows why AVB bought him in the summer.

R Bennett
A cheap defender with attacking prowess. Ideal for rare apps & stock sub 3 usage.

Silva
The Iberian foil that supports Aguero. Silva is due more goals/assists & is cheaper than Y. Toure.


IN:
Mannone
Sunderland have found some form. Mannone is cheap and rotates well with Marshall.

Amazing "M & M" GK Combo GW23-33: 
Stoke (H), Norwich (H), Hull (H), Villa (H), Hull (H), Spurs (A), 
Fulham (H), Palace (H), Norwich (A), West Ham (H), Palace (H)

Marshall
Hasn't been too bad when playing at home.  He rotates well with Mannone (as shown above).

B Davies
Swans are due a clean sheet. They have good upcoming games. Davies has attacking prowess.

Collins
Irons lack form but are due a clean sheet or two. He is cheap & alternates well with my team.

Ward
Listed as a defender but has recently played in midfield (OOP status). Pulis's Palace can defend.

Distin
Good price for a Top 6 team defender. Won't score at all but will keep occasional clean sheets.

Hazard
Chelsea's top goal scorer. Dominates their midfield & overshadows strikers. Must have.

Mata
Has a fantastic record in the PL. Is more than capable of scoring & helping United to 4th spot.

Januzaj
Classy & cheap, but a temporary purchase. I will replace him with Zaha before the start of GW24.

Aguero
Playing for a team that has scored 100+ goals already. Title challenge will also motivate him.

Berahino
Cheap forward option.  With Long gone and Anelka possibly suspended he could shine.


OUT:

de Gea
Too expensive for my liking. It made sense to reinvest funds elsewhere in my team.

Pantilimon
Was a short term purchase who then acted as a stock player. Didn't make sense to retain him.

Flanagan
Served a short term purpose to my team. His injury was unfortunate.

Coleman
His injury and excessive ownership were factors. Offset by me buying Distin instead.

Koscielny
Arsenal don't have too many good upcoming games. His sale allowed me to bolster midfield.

C Davies
Served a purpose of keeping some home clean sheets. Has tricky upcoming games.

Ozil
Re-buying him was a mistake.  Arsenal's inflated midfield may affect his attacking prowess.

Barkley
Has shown his promise earlier in the season. Worth reconsidering after retaining 100% fitness.

Sterling
He is good. But I think Gerrard, Coutinho, Suarez & Sturridge will affect his future FPL pts tallies.

Negredo
Has been on form & is cheap, but Aguero will outdo him on presence and goals.

Lukaku
His form has been hot & cold recently. I couldn't afford to keep him any longer.


My Wildcard Team Assessment:

Goalkeepers: 7/10 rating

Almost perfect rotation up until the time I will probably use my all-season wildcard.

Defenders: 5/10 rating

Not an area of strength per se (Distin & Davies are bonuses), but I only intend to use 3 at a time so I am not entirely bothered.

Midfielders: 9/10 rating

On paper - 5 phenomenal picks.  I will be disappointed if they don't score a big chunk of my average GW points. 

Forwards: 8/10 rating

3 big names would have been ideal. But I can't really complain when I have Suarez & Aguero slotted in!

Overall Team Rating: 29/40 (72.5%)


GW 27 ANOMALY:

You can modify your teams up until 7.30pm GMT on 28th January.  Kick off occurs at 7.45pm.  Team sheets should be announced by 7pm.  In theory, you can modify your team by knowing Tuesday's starting line ups in advance, albeit for a short period.


TRUNCATED GW (28) ALERT*:


*Due to League Cup Final involving Man City & Sunderland 
(also affecting Man Utd & WBA)


Revised Aims:

Each season I aspire to better my overall rank from the previous season (Currently Top 0.2%).  Unfortunately due to my abysmal current rank of 122k that seems out of reach this year.  As a result, I have decided to revise my objectives and at the very least aim for a Top 1% rank.  This means that I aim to finish higher than 31,587.  In addition, I am looking to score 80+ at least half a dozen times between now and the end of the season.  A couple of tons would be perfect and not beyond my reach, thus I am in pursuit of them too.  As for league positioning, I aim to win my public leagues and hopefully have some Top 3 finishes in my private leagues.