Tuesday, 22 November 2011

Gameweek 12 Summary

David Beckham may have got his Hollywood ending by finally winning the MLS Cup, but Newcastle United's unbeaten dream start finally came to an end in the Premier League.  The Geordies almost kept a first half clean sheet prior to the flood gates opening up before half-time.  Their concessions included a Micah Richards goal and assist, which bagged him a whopping 14 points.  My recommended player for gameweek 11 could have got an astounding 18 points had it not been for a late goal by Gosling.  My GW12 captain Dzeko didn't play, which meant I got double points for my vice captain, Van Persie (Lucky me!).  He extended his double digit points scoring run to five matches with a brace at Norwich.  The mis-placed Rooney continued his barren run of not scoring as United won 1-0.  QPR won a five goal thriller at the Britannia, as Rovers were held to a 6 goal bonanza at the JJB.  Chelsea recorded a shock loss at home to Liverpool, which dented their title hopes.  Everton and West Brom recorded wins v struggling Wolves and Bolton respectively.  Last but not least, Sunderland and Fulham recorded a 0-0 damp squib at the Stadium of Light. 

An interesting point of note is that no Premier League midfielder recorded 10+ points this game week (apart from Bale), a surprising rarity for FPL.  This could be due to the fact that a lot of the usual big hitting midifielders such as Silva, VDV and Lamps didn't really do much in the goals/assists department.  In total I bagged 66 points this gameweek, allowing myself to be elevated by 20,000ish positions (a sixth consecutive gameweek rise!).  This has been in part to long-term projections.  For instance I cited Tottenham's form and generous fixture list until mid-January as my reason to buy Kyle Walker.  I have now used this as my justification of finally ditching my problem player, aka Man City's squad rotating Dzeko in place of Emmanuel Adebayor.  Moreover, I have been looking to make a like-for-like price replacement in midfield.  I have finally done so, by replacing Cabaye (6.0) with the more attack orientated Jonathan Walters (6.4) who has currently notched 4 goals and 2 assists.  Crucially, in my opinion, Stoke seem to have relatively reasonable upcoming fixtures with: Blackburn (H), Everton (A), Tottenham (H), Wolves (A), Norwich (H), Man City (A), Aston Villa (H), Wigan (H) & Blackburn (A).  If Rooney continues to misfire and Ramsey continues to only produce pointless assist assists, I may be inclined to replace them both with Silva and Ba respectively.

I will post my recommended player for GW 13 shortly.  In the mean time, let's hope David Beckham declines a move to a non-English European club and opts for a shock move to the Premier League... via the North East of England... under Alan Pardew's Newcastle United!  The number 23 shirt will be waiting for him.