Tuesday, 1 November 2011

Gameweek 10 Summary

Wow, another fantastic goals-galore gameweek!  I scored a respectable 65 points during a GW where the average score was 44.  My overall rank has jumped greatly from 150,000ish to 90,000ish.  But at the same time I feel like the guy who had the winning lottery numbers from the previous week!  Had a I not changed my team from the last GW I would have scored 84 points!  But who could have predicted the surprising scoreline at Stamford Bridge?  Fortunately I still had RVP in my team and my risky pick of Dzeko as captain scored a goal to help elevate my GW score.

So, who is Ba Best team in the Premier League at the moment?  In my estimation it is the shoestring budget Newcastle United squad.  In gameweek 10 they proved that they not only have a mean defence (the best record in the league), but they also have a lethal attack force.  Demba Ba's second hat-trick of this season is a remarkable feat for a team that has no true No. 9 player in the team.  At 6.5 (Ba) and 5.2 (Best), Newcastle's strike force is currently a bargain and very cheap to purchase in FPL (cheaper than Tevez combined!).  Such is the superlative turnaround at Newcastle United that Alan Pardew will on current form be a shortlisted candidate for the England job after Fabio's Capello departure in 2012.

As for the other gameweek 10 results, Manchester United went back to winning ways with a clean sheet victory at Everton, whilst Arsenal racked up a surprising cricket score victory at Stamford Bridge, courtesy of a Van Persie hat-trick.  The Dutchman has now scored an "an outstanding 28 goals in 27 Premier League games".  Man City continued their goal scoring festivities ad Blackburn were held to a controversial draw at Carrow Road.  Villa drew at Sunderland, where as newly promoted Swansea's attacking prowess prevailed once again as they thumped Bolton.  Fulham and Liverpool both gained clean sheet victories as Tottenham beat QPR 3-1.  Unfortunately, Tottenham's concession of a goal meant that my recommended player for gameweek 10 only scored two points.  But don't worry, as mentioned, have faith with him floating about in your team until mid-January.

With the conclusion of gameweek 10, I have sold the Hart and Petrov, in place of Van Der Vaart and Vorm.  I initially chose Hart as I felt that City would keep a good number of clean sheets.  But as this season has proven, clean sheets are a premium.  In fact, Vorm has kept more clean sheets than Hart and is almost half the price in value.  I intend to invest in Silva and Ba at the expense of the squad rotating Dzeko and either Ramsey or Cabaye from my midfield.  Whilst I would not deride Ramsey or Cabaye (they are both quality players!), they are not as attacking as Silva, who is regularly able to breach defensive lines with his abundance of goals and assists.

My team for GW 11 has now been uploaded on to the blog.  I will post my recommended player for gameweek 11 shortly - hopefully within the next 24 hours or so.  Until then, stay "Tooned"!