Thursday, 28 August 2014

#FlyBuy - GW3

A second successive flop for FlyBuy has meant a poor start to the season for yours truly. It can be argued that the loss of Steven Pienaar to injury in GW2 early on in the game is not an indication of my poor selection; just bad luck. Anyway, what it probably will mean is that Baines will get back amongst the points for Everton as he will no doubt be the furthest man forward on that left wing with Pienaar out for a while.


I need to redeem myself with this weeks pick, but at the same time I don't want to play it safe as I see that being a bit of a cop-out. Remember that FlyBuy is not a one-off pick for just one gameweek, instead it is based on a prediction that a player can go on a little bit of a points scoring run over several games. With that in mind I have pored over the upcoming fixtures (bearing in mind that there is an International break after GW3), and have selected a pick based on the team I believe have the "easiest" games - at least on paper. But, as we all know, football matches are not played on paper, and sometimes the most unlikely results are thrown up. For instance, who could envisage that Sunderland would have dropped 2 points last weekend, or that Aston Villa would keep a clean sheet for 2 weeks in a row? Not this callsign certainly!


This week's pick is certainly a differential, based on an ownership stat of just 1.1%. Have I got your attention yet? A new signing for this season, he only made his debut in a 21 minute cameo last weekend. He is a playmaker and a potential assist provider, if only those in front of him find their shooting boots soon. Favourable fixtures over the next few weeks are the struggling Crystal Palace at home, Southampton away, Hull at home, Stoke away, Swansea away and Leicester at home. Hopefully a few points in amongst that lot for my FlyBuy choice for GW3.


He is, of course, Newcastle's Siem de Jong. Averaging just under a goal every 3 games during his 7 years with Ajax, if Riviere continues to disappoint, Alan Pardew could well push him up higher and employ him as an out-and-out striker.


I have high hopes for him, and if you take the plunge, I think once we emerge from GW8 you'll be pleasantly surprised you took my advice.


FLY


FlyBuy picks to date:


GW1 - Calum Chambers (ARS) - Points: 1 / 0
GW2 - Steven Pienaar (EVE) - Points: 1