Tuesday, 27 December 2011

Gameweek 18 Summary

The gameweek was full of surprises with the freakishly high prevalence of draws (7 out of 10) as many big teams failed to win against lesser teams.  For instance, Chelsea could only manage a draw against Fulham as Liverpool succumbed to a poor score draw to Blackburn Rovers at Anfield.  Man City failed to score in a Premier League match for the first time this season as their match against the Baggies ended goalless.  Arsenal failed to exploit the draws of the teams above them as they were held to a 1-1 versus Wolves.  Manchester United were true to their recent form as they won 5-0 against relegation strugglers Wigan.  Spurs capitalised on the drawfest of others as they continued to hang on to the title race with a 0-2 away win against Norwich.  On the mid-table front, unsurprisingly, Everton v Sunderland and Swansea v QPR ended up as 1-1 draws.  Finally, Newcastle ended their winless streak by attaining victory against Bolton - as Stoke v Aston Villa ended 0-0.

Well, well, well - a mixed gameweek for me - I have to say folks that I missed out on two fronts for this gameweek.  Firstly my captain Van Persie failed to assist or score against Wolves at The Emirates.  Secondly my third substitute Ryan Taylor got a clean sheet and assist, but unfortunately he will not be featuring as an auto-sub - thus lost points there.  On a brighter note, I am confident that my overall GW score will be higher than the average as many oddball results meant that a majority of FPL gamers will have lost out more so than myself - At least I was able to manage a major "BALE OUT" - as Bale (2 goals), Walker (clean sheet), Adebayor (assist), Ben Arfa (goal) and Ba (goal) put me in good stead.  On a side note, the valuable points picked up from my Spurs' players also allowed me to win against my opponent in the first FPL cup match.  As for future changes to my team I am inclined to bring in Smalling to replace the injured Evans (who replaced the injured Jones only last GW!).  Moreover, I may prepare myself for Spurs and Everton's double gameweek (GW 20) by bringing in the likes of Baines and Osman.  All will be revealed soon.  Until then, stay tuned!