Tuesday, 13 December 2011

Gameweek 15 Summary

Man City's percieved footballing logic of "it's not how many goals you concede; it's how many you score!" finally failed, as the league leaders unbeaten Premiership run came to a dramatic halt at Stamford Bridge (2-1: sensationally downed by a Frank Lampard penalty). They will rue their missed chances versus Chelsea during early spells of dominance, prior to getting a man sent off. City will now have to pick up the pieces and especially look at their leaky defence which has kept a paltry 4 clean sheets out of 15 league matches thus far (with the last one on 1st October). In other matches, Champions Leage chasers Arsenal and Liverpool won 1-0 a piece at home, while conversley lowly placed Bolton and West Brom both lost 1-2 at home. Man Utd at last found form in front of goal by scoring four past Wolves at home, as did Norwich against injury-hit Newcastle United. Swansea won with a clean sheet against Fulham and Martin O'Neill marked his managerial debut for Sunderland with a last gasp win over Blackburn. Finally, surprise title contenders Spurs suffered a mildish shock defeat away to Stoke (1-2).

As for my GW team it did fairly well, by scoring a very decent total of 79 points - my highest gameweek score thus far for the season. But it could have been so much better... Had I captained my recommended player for Gameweek 15 I could have scored an astounding 90 points! Nevertheless, taking the actual captain's points into account - four of my players hit double digits - Nani (18), Vorm (12), Ba (12), Van Persie (14* as captain). The 56 points between the four players in question were courtesey of a penalty save and five goals. I have no real individual player dissapointments with my GW team, apart from Aaron Ramsey. He should have had far more goal and assists over the last few gameweeks, had it not been for his abundance of squandered chances. In truth he is not attacking enough from my perspective (too centralish of a midfielder). To top things off his value has dropped. Thus I was scouting for a replacement from Liverpool, Newcastle United and Manchester United (who I believe have favourable upcoming fixtures). Remarkably - not only have I finally decided to sell Ramsey - but replaced him with a cheaper, attacking and bolder pick that I will reveal in my recommended player for gameweek 16. Until then stay tuned!