Sunday, 18 December 2011

Gameweek 16 Summary

Man City bounced back from their defeat to Chelsea, by defeating a resurgent Arsenal 1-0 at the Etihad (and keeping a much sought after clean sheet).  Man United and Liverpool also kept clean sheets, albeit away from home, with 2-0 wins respectively.  Tottenham beat Sunderland 1-0 at White Hart Lane as Swansea held Newcastle United to a damp squib 0-0 draw.  West Brom increased the pressure on Steve Kean to be sacked, as they defeated Blackburn Rovers 1-2.  Fulham won 2-0 at Craven Cottage versus Bolton as Stoke found victory away from home.  Finally, Everton were held to a 1-1 draw at home to Norwich; as were Chelsea (surprisingly) away to Wigan.

Ok folks, so I messed up with my recommended player for GW 16.  He didn't play a single minute of the aforementioned 0-0!  But in some ways I am glad he didn't start or do a second half cameo, due to the number of points I got from my bench.  Walker and Enrique got me points from keeping defensive clean sheets, as did Joe Allen from midfield (15 points attained from them: pre-bonus points update!).  The other two players from my first team that didn't play were Ryan Taylor (Newcastle United) and Gareth Bale (Tottenham Hotspurs), due to last minute injuries.  Interestingly, my goalkeeper and defenders all kept clean sheets, where as my midfielders and forwards scored/assisted 0 goals.  With all the above in mind, I have had a mixed gameweek.  It could have been a disaster with lost points on the bench or no points from the bench - but I was fortunate in having a strong bench.  I urge you all to beef up your subs' benches if you haven't already done so, as you could lose points due to squad rotation or injury - primarily due to the end of December/start of January fixture jam!  Despite Ben Arfa not playing I will still keep him in my team for WBA at (home) and Bolton (away).  My trust with him for the next two GWs is primarily due to the fact that I think Pardew needs Ben Arfa's attacking creativity and is bound to use him, subject to common sense prevailing.  I am tempted to do no transfers this GW (a rare non-move on my part), in-order to have an extra free transfer at hand.  However, I am keeping a track of David Silva, trying to find a replacement for Ryan Taylor and possibly ditching Joe Allen.

I will upload my recommended player for GW 17 shortly!  Until then, adios.