Sunday, 22 January 2012

Gameweek 22 Summary

What an action packed weekend of Premier League football!  It ended sensationally with "Super Sunday" as "Super Mario" sunk Spurs' title bid in injury time - whilst an injury hit Manchester United team extinguished Arsenal's very outside title challenge.  It now means that the two Manchester clubs are without doubt the duopoly of the Premier League and the sole credible hopefuls to be this season's Premier League Champions.  In other results Norwich and Chelsea's match ended goalless at Carrow Road, as Blackburn and Everton finished 1-1.  Villa won their Midlands derby against Wolves, as West Brom attained a good 1-2 win versus Stoke.  Sunderland won 2-0 versus Swansea, as QPR won their relegation battle over Wigan, 3-1.  Finally, Fulham were involved in an uber goal fest against Newcastle United and won, whilst a poor Liverpool side succumbed to a revitalised Bolton, 3-1.

Folks, I don't where to begin with my team...  On the one hand some of my players did really well - Dempsey (17), Ben Arfa (10) and Stephane Sessegnon (11) - my tip of the GW.  On the other hand, some failed me massively - R Taylor (1 - came appearance), Richards (1 - conceded three goals), Jones (1 - got injured).  Most disappointing was Steven Gerrard.  He had a good opportunity to score or assist against a week Bolton team, yet he failed in an epic manner.  I will not be captaining him ever again in FPL, alas I think he is well and truly passed his peak.  I am gutted that I didn't captain Sessegnon instead.  On Sunday morning I was ranked 3,177 overall (in FPL out of 2.7 million) and could have maintained this for Sunday evening with a good captain's pick.  In spite of this self-error I think I have done very well for this gameweek and my score will be more than comfortably above the average score come Monday morning.  For GW 23 I might make a defensive transfer to free up funds, but this remains to be seen.  I will give Stevie G one last chance as a demoted non-captain in my team.  If he fails me again I will almost certainly axe him from my side.

I will upload my recommended player for Gameweek 23 shortly.  Until then I ask of you Super Mario or Super Mario?  The choice is yours.