Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Gameweek 21 Summary

Gameweek 21 ended with leaders Man City defeating bottom side Wigan 0-1.  QPR suffered from the same scoreline against Newcastle, on Mark Hughes' first match in charge.  Villa were held to a 1-1 draw to Everton, as were surprisingly Tottenham with Wolves.  10-man Blackburn defied the odds to defeat Fulham and subsequently jumped away from the relegation zone.  Where as Manchester United trounced Bolton 3-0 at home, as Chelsea grinded out a 1-0 win over a rejuvenated Sunderland.  Liverpool's abysmal home record for this season continued (4 league wins now out of 11) with a damp squib draw v Stoke.  Finally, Norwich won 1-2 against WBA, as Arsenal lost out 2-3 to a tenacious Swansea City.

My blog team scored 50 points for the gameweek and I have to say that I was unfortunate and lucky in equal measure.  Firstly the bad - Yakubu being sent off cost me -2 (to think I was close to captaining him!).  Jones and Richards didn't play which meant that subs R Taylor and Sess had to be used.  24 of my 50 points came from three of my players - Lindegaard (6), R Taylor (12) and Terry (6).  My captain for GW 21 Gerrard was a bit of a let down with no goals or assists, despite his recent cup form.  Apart from that Silva (8) and RVP (6) contributed to making my GW tally somewhat respectable, though in the end I was only two points above the average GW score.  I feel all the more humbled as I just about nicked victory (50-48) in the Official FPL Cup competition against a player who only had 7 active first team Premier League players and hadn't touch his team for months.  I am hoping for a good run of points in the coming weeks and for that it is vital I choose my captain correctly.  I will discuss my replacement for Yakubu and recommended player for GW 22 shortly.  Until then stay tuned!