Friday, 13 January 2012

Gameweek 20 Summary

Gameweek 20 (aka "Double Gameweek") came to an eventual end on Wednesday night as Tottenham defeated Everton 2-0 at home, which supplemented their 1-0 victory over West Brom eight days previously.  It means that Spurs are now "surprise title challengers", as tipped by yours truly in Gameweek 13.  In other matches - Everton, Blackburn, QPR and Wolves all lost 1-2 at home to the forceful behest of Bolton, Norwich, Stoke and Chelsea respectively.  Villa lost 0-2 to Swansea as Fulham won their derby match against a tired Arsenal, 2-1.  Sunderland continued to blossom under O'Neill with a 1-4 victory over Wigan as Man City beat Liverpool 3-0.  Finally, Newcastle United continued to defy the odds by a throwing a whopping spanner into the pathway of Sir Alex Ferguson as they royally trounced Manchester United 3-0 in arguably one of the biggest shocks of the season.  The victory meant that the Geordies got the better of Sir Alex as they picked up 4 points out of 6 v Manchester United for the 2011/12 season.  LOVE IT!

As for my FPL team, I have to say that I am gutted with my GW performance.  I set my self a minimum target of 80 points for the double gameweek..  Such was my boldness that I took a -4 hit to ensure that I had 3 Tottenham players and 3 Evertonians.  What could go wrong?  Well 4 of the 6 DGW players failed me!  Osman and Jagielka hobbled off in their first DGW match, Adebayor couldn't hit a barn door as he scored 0 with 175 minuted of play and Baines neither got a bonus, assist or a goal.  It was left to Kyle Walker and Gareth Bale (c) to bail me out with their combined total of 37 points out of my grand total of 68 points.  Had I picked Assou-Ekotto (0.5 cheaper than Walker) I would have been quids in, as he bagged a total of 24 points for DGW!  On a side note, Ba did me good with 12 points v United as he jetted off to the African Cup of Nations and Vorm kept a clean sheet.  As a result of DGW, I came to the conclusion of using my January Transfer Window Wildcard (WC), which I did and will discuss my WC card changes in my next post.

À bientôt.