Monday, 27 February 2012

Gameweek 26 Summary

In a week when Liverpool scraped through and won the League Cup (a pointless competition) v Cardiff, exciting Premiership matches stole the limelight.  Newcastle threw away a 2-0 lead to draw against Wolves at home.  Spurs also threw away a 0-2 lead, as under-fire Arsenal fired five past poor old Brad Friedel.  AVB's Chelsea ended their winless streak with a comfortable win at home v Bolton.  On-form West Brom deflated former on-form Sunderland by a four goal cricket score margin. 

Man City as expected beat Blackburn, where as United's old timers turned back the time and secured a valuable win against the Canaries at Carrow Road.  Swansea's bad run of league form continued against Stoke with a 2-0 defeat, as QPR's relegation worries continued with a 0-1 defeat to Fulham.  Finally, Wigan's match v Aston Villa was a damp squib with the top flight's only goalless match of the gameweek.

I have to say folks that I got a lot of stick for endorsing Ashley Cole for this gameweek.  Fortunately he didn't let me down and as projected he kept a clean sheet v Bolton.  Of course, Cahill would have been better in terms of cost and Luiz's goal further highlights his attacking threat.  But I still stand by Ashley Cole, as he is irreplaceable for Chelsea as a left back.  Though I may cash him in for a cheaper Chelsea defender if I wish to free up funds.  As for my gameweek, it was very mixed.  My recommended player (Cole), captain (Aguero) and vice-captain (Silva) all did reasonably well (collectively scoring almost half of my GW points). 

I lost out on 6 points with Micah Richards not starting for a second consecutive week.  This has given me reason to replace him.  Moreover, Vorm's injury/illness meant that I lost at least 2 more defensive points, as my back up goalkeeper (Lindegaard) was also injured.  Joey Barton has been a major let down in his last three easy-ish matches and is now ear marked for the FPL dustbin.  Fortunately I have my wildcard still at hand and may be tempted to use it very soon to make relevant changes.

Here are some players for you to consider as you plan your next transfer:

David Luiz (6.3) - 2 goals in his last 3 matches
(away to West Brom next).

Joe Hart (6.8) - 3 clean sheets from 3 matches.
(at home to Bolton next).

Peter Odemwingie (7.2) - 5 goals from his last 2 matches
(at home to Chelsea next).

James Morrison (5.3) - 1 goal and 2 assists from his last 2 matches
(at home to Chelsea next).