Tuesday, 7 February 2012

Gameweek 24 Summary

The gameweek ended surprisingly goalless (Liverpool 0-0 Tottenham), but for the most part it was packed with goals, goals and goals!  This was the gameweek in which the established strikers rediscovered their goalscoring form.  Van Persie started the goal rush with his hat-trick, as Arsenal sunk a woeful Blackburn 7-1.  Rooney scored twice as United came back from 3-0 down to sensationally draw 3-3 at Stamford Bridge.  Aguero also managed a goal with City's comfortable 3-0 win over Fulham.  Newcastle won 2-1 at home with Cisse scoring on his debut  and Ba scoring on his return, as Swansea managed a rare away win in part due to Danny Graham's goal.  Wolves' Doyle scored to upset QPR at Loftus Road with a 1-2 score line.  Norwich won 2-0, where as Sunderland's fine run of form continued with a 0-1 win at the Britannia Stadium.  Finally Everton held Wigan to a 1-1 draw.

I have to say folks that despite scoring over 70 points (which in normal circumstances is a decent tallly) I am truly gutted with this gameweek.  I recommended Aguero (11 points) and vice-captained Van Persie (23 points), yet I unfortunately decided to captain Silva (obtained a paltry 3 points for this gameweek).  In spite of this, Graham (7), Sessegnon (6) and Ekotto (6) carried me through, along with my named strikers.  I think I have captained midfielders far too much this season and with Arsenal's easyish home match to Blackburn, as well as City's easyish home match to Fulham I should have captained a striker.  A lesson learnt the hard way, but learnt nevertheless.  Fortunately my -4 hit paid off with Aguero's points performance, though Barton (2) was hardly spectacular.  Alas, it looks like I will have to make another transfer change due to the following player concerns:

Terry short-term injury (though I won't sell him).
R Taylor injured (I won't sell him unless he is out for months).
Hatem Ben Arfa (a glorified bench warmer now that Ba and Cisse have returned from ACON).
Lindegaard (apparently out for weeks)

The most probable change I will make is by replacing Ben Arfa with a cheaper alternative.  I am surprised I kept him for so long (though he rewarded me occasionally) but I think he is past his shelf life for the time being.  Ironically with him not playing on Sunday I obtained 7 autosub points from Graham.  In terms of replacing Ben Arfa, I am currently considering the following:

Gylfi Sigurdsson, Swansea (5.0) - 1 goal / 3 assists from his 4 appearances so far. 
- Budget Quality.

Scott Sinclair, Swansea (6.5) - 7 goals / 2 assists out of 24 gameweeks. 
- Worth considering.

James McClean, Sunderland (4.6) - 2 goals / 2 assists from last 5 appearances. 
- Galvanised by O'Neill.

Anthony Pilkington, Norwich (5.1) - 2 goals from last 5 appearances. 
- Starts often, but lacks consistency.

I may or may not replace Ben Arfa in the next gameweek and the proposed replacements are not confirmed, but merely musings.  I will post my recommended player for Gamweek 25 in due course, stay tuned!