Friday, 28 October 2011

One Hundred Years of Football Management

One Hundred Years of Football Management


Look what I found!  Evidence of my football management addiction.  The above screen shot is from the offline PC game Football Manager 2005 - with only the top 3 tiers of English football selected.  The game play spanned the years 2008-2009 in real time.  As is evident from the graphic (you may need to click it to enlarge it), I was managing for over 100 years!  102 years to be precise.  During this time I won 39 League titles and 97 Cups, without cheating.  I managed 6,241 games - beat that Fergie!, which works out to be on average 60 or so games per season .  I was managing for such a long time that the games stats page malfunctioned, as is evident from the "Total Value of Players Bought" (note the odd minus sign) and total wins - highlighted in red.  The total wins was automatically reset by the game when I reached a certain amount of career wins.

By adding up draws and defeats I calculated that I won 3,532 matches at win rate of 56.59% (unbeaten in 77.79% of all matches played).  My most expensive signing was a Brazilian chap called Vagner in the year 2080.  Perhaps he is a future descendent of Vagner Love?  At £74 Million he cost me almost as much as Cristiano Ronaldo cost Real Madrid in real life.  I got rid of him two years later.  In the process I doubled my money by selling him at an expensively cool £140 Million.  During my century of management I managed 35 clubs and 24 countries, with my longest tenure being at Manchester United for 4075 days (about 11 years, surprisingly short considering my management career).  At the time of the screen shot Bristol City was the last team that I managed, who I believe were in the Premier League.  I may have "retired" after managing them.

Why did I play the game for so long?  Well, I actually managed for 100 years during 2002 whilst playing Championship Manager 2001.  I tried matching that length record, which I surpassed.  However, there was one thing in both of those stints that I failed to do... The Quadruple - Premier League, League Cup, FA Cup and Champions League in one season.  The amount of times I did the treble is beyond count.  But I perished so many times when trying to do the Quad that it was unbelievable! I would always lose in one of the aforementioned cup finals to a minnow whenever I was the favourite, which prevented me doing the much coveted Quadruple.  Ah well, the things you do...