Sunday, 23 October 2011

Gameweek 9 Summary

Goodness Gracious Me (I think I need to go for an English)!  This is my three word summary for my gameweek team and the weekend's Premier League fixtures.  The highlights of this gameweek included Manchester United being thrashed by their noisy neighbours, 9 man Chelsea losing away to QPR, Liverpool drawing to the Canaries at home and of course Newcastle continuing their fine unbeaten run to the season thus far.  My recommended player (and captain) for this gameweek did me proud by scoring a brace.  Ramsey managed an assist and Yohan Cabaye (my game week 6 tip) got on the score sheet.  Sinclair and Petrov didn't score or assist.  Alas, apart from Ryan Taylor, my much acclaimed defence of A Cole, J Enrique and P Jones failed to keep a clean sheet.  Hart conceded one goal in the seven goal derby.  Rooney proved to be a damp squib in the Manchester derby yet Dzeko wasn't, as he scored two and registered an assist.  I had Dzeko as my first sub after he failed to get any significant game time in his last three matches, how wrong I was to do this.  The Bosnian marksman showed his class with his 21 minute cameo.  The irony of this was that I was going to sell him due to the aforementioned and his squad rotating status, but I may decide to keep him for the time being.  I have finally got rid of Cahill and replaced him with Micah Richards (a bargain at 6.0).  I may consider acquiring Silva or Van der Vaart in the future, but their expensive price tags mean that I would need to sell one of my marquee strikers or defenders.  I have scored more points than the average GW 9 score, but I am gutted that I had decided to bench Dzeko.  He is proving to be an enigma for me.  I will definitely have to start him now for GW 10.  Apart from my one "Dzekostraphic" (non-)game week selection, I would say that I had a mildy good gameweek considering the many surprising Premier League scorelines...


Even Match of the Day 2 highlighted the historical significance: