Thursday, 15 October 2015

Chief's #FPL Team - Gameweek 9

Disclaimer: *FPLH reserves the right to change this team at any time. Any changes made will  most likely be confirmed on FPLH's Twitter account.


 CHIPS USED: 0 

GW TRANSFER(S): 2

-4 HIT

  WALCOTT & COSTA (IN)

MAHREZ & AGUERO (OUT)

  WILDCARD: UNTOUCHED


Thoughts & Reasoning:

What a difference a Gameweek can make. I was stuck at 1.4 million and out of the blue Aguero scores 5 goals.  This was complemented by good fantasy returns from Sanchez, de Bruyne and Payet.  Had I captained Aguero instead of de Bruyne, I would have scored over 100 points, but 97 was sufficient and elevated my team up to 400k.  It was a much needed boost to a sluggish start.  Unfortunately, Aguero got injured on international duty.  What's also worrying is that there are fitness questions over Mahrez, Kolarov and even Sanchez. With all the post-international knocks flying about, I felt this was an appropriate time to take another -4 hit.

I had a light bulb moment when listening live to the Gameweek 9 FanFeud podcast. I came to the conclusion that I needed attacking cover from Chelsea. They need a big win and in their recent past they have hammered Aston Villa who are going through a rocky patch. I decided to buy Costa in part due to his low ownership. I know his form has been poor this season, but I'm hoping that he has attained some rest after his three match suspension. He scored 20 league goals last season, he's definitely due more goals this season. I was on the cusp of buying Berahino to replace my dud sub Graham. But I was worried that Berahino hasn't played many full matches this season, despite three decent upcoming games.

I had to change tact on Thursday evening, specifically after hearing news about Mahrez and Sanchez. I wanted a striker. What better one is there than an out of position midfielder - Theo Walcott has form on his side, scored on international duty, 5% ownership, returned early to his club and is a steal at £8.6M. I simply couldn't ignore him.  My 3-5-2 is in essence a 3-4-3.  Having said that, I know Watford haven't conceded a lot at home this season, but they are prone to being weak at the back against bigger clubs. If either of my Costa/Walcott moves fail, I can always remove them with my wildcard during the November international break. Finally, I have let de Bruyne retain the armband due to his consistency and reliability.

Good luck to you all!