Thursday, 19 September 2013

FPL Hints - Gameweek 5

Disclaimer: *FPLH reserves the right to change this team at any time. Any changes made will most likely be confirmed on FPLH's Twitter account.


Transfers (-4 Hit):
Lescott & Koren (OUT) / Davies & Ramsey (IN)

2 red arrows... not a pretty sight, right?  Grrr... I can't stand it!  Especially when I have scored a paltry 81 points from the last 2 Gameweeks.

I was very tempted to wildcard after having a dire GW4.  But as you all know by now I prefer to hold on to that till April/May time.  My defence suffered at the cost of having expensive midfielders and strikers that didn't perform collectively.  The Premier League thus far has seen an unusually high number of clean sheets to the benefit of teams with decent defenders.  But don't expect this trend to last!

I decided to sell Lescott after his no show last week.  I can't see him featuring as much with Kompany returning back and with others above him in the pecking order.  I wanted to replace him with a player that plays regularly, has attacking pedigree, is cheap and is capable of keeping clean sheets.  This led me to 2 options - Jose Fonte or Curtis Davies.  Both have scored a significant number of goals in recent seasons (albeit in lower divisions).  But I opted for Davies as I feel that he is less of a rotation risk and a better long-term pick.  Besides, I met him 5 years ago and he was a cool guy back then! ;-)

Curtis Davies - Keeping it real!
You might ask why have I picked a player only to bench him straight away? That's because he has a tricky fixture with Newcastle away, where as Kolo Toure has an easier fixture.  Like Lescott, Kolo Toure isn't a guaranteed starter, but in the event that the Ivorian doesn't play, Davies can auto-sub on for him.  Simple, right?

My other transfer was a straight forward "bandwagon" choice.  I decided to sell Koren for Ramsey.  The Welshman has scored 6 club goals in 7 matches this season.  This statistic on its own is hard to ignore.  All the more so with Arsenal's decent upcoming fixtures, his cheap FPL price and a guaranteed starting berth while Cazorla is out injured.

Aside from Soldado and Van Persie, all of my players will be playing at home.  I was tempted to play Gayle who could cut through Swansea's tired defence (post mid-week Europa League), but have opted to place him as my sub 1 instead.

My captain for this Gameweek is Ozil.  He will be looking to mark his home debut with a bang, even if it's against a resurgent Stoke City.  My vice-captain is Ramsey.




GW Reject:
LESCOTT (MNC)

GW Punt:
SESSEGNON (WBA)

GW Hot Pick:
ÖZIL (ARS)


Why?

Effectively plays behind the striker.
Has one of the best assist rates in Europe.
He can also chip in by scoring a few goals himself.


FPLH's GW Star Picks:

Mignolet

Gibbs
Enrique
Cole

Sessegnon
Ozil (c)
Ben Arfa
Hazard

Giroud
Rooney
Sturridge

Subs:
Cech
Nolan
Whittaker
O'Brien


FPLH's Projected GW Results: