Wednesday, 9 January 2013

FPL Hints - Gameweek 22

FPLH's GW 22 Team*

Transfers: Valencia & Riise (OUT) / Mata & Harte (IN): -4 hit

*FPLH reserves the right to change this team at any time. Any changes made will be confirmed on FPLH's Twitter and Facebook accounts.

Team Reasoning

If you don't already know, GW22 is in fact a Double Gameweek (DGW)!  Chelsea's re-arranged fixture with Southampton is due to be played on 16th January at the back end of GW22.  Naturally you would think that I would take a transfer hit to buy an array of DGW players?  Yes and No.

I decided to take a -4 hit to only bring in Mata (9.9) from Chelsea.  He has shined this season and it makes perfect sense to captain him in GW22, as he is an on form first team regular player.  Of course he didn't start v QPR, but naturally he was due a rest as a result of the busy festive period.  I decided to buy him as this season he has performed well against both big and small teams.

Following Chelsea's shock loss to QPR, I doubt they will be resting their big guns.  I was close to signing Ba, but ultimately decided against it as I wasn't convinced he would get 160-180mins during their DGW, due to competition with Torres.  I was also put off by purchasing Turnbull as he is a short-term solution, prone to conceding goals.  In addition Azpilicueta may seem a bargain, but with the imminent return of John Terry their defence could be reshuffled.  Luiz, who is already in my team, seems safe in his new midfield role especially with Mikel's departure to the African Cup of Nations.

My other purchase will be a surprise for some.  I bought Ian Harte.  At £3.8M he is ridiculously cheap and allows me to free up funds.  Sure Reading concede goals, but he has the capability to score them!  His career strike rate in league football is 18%, which is fantastic for a defender.  He has a history of taking penalties and free kicks, and in fact hit the woodwork against Tottenham in Reading's last PL match.

Since his return to the first team, Harte has scored 21 points, which can't be ignored either.  He may not have scored a goal, but I think he is certainly due one soon.  I could potentially keep him till the end of the season.  Call me crazy, but he might bag a few goals from now till May!  The extra benefit with him is that he is a safe bench option.  However, I would also play him in certain home matches, as follows:

GW 22 - West Brom (H)
GW 25 - Sunderland (H)
GW 27 - Wigan (H)
GW 29 - Aston Villa (H)
GW 32 - Southampton (H)
GW 35 - QPR (H)

I have captained Mata for this GW, which is a no brainer due to the DGW, with Luiz as the vice-captain.

Recommended Player for Gameweek 22
  
Juan Mata

Usually plays behind the striker in a support role.
So far scored 7 and assisted 8 goals in the PL. 
Has scored in both home and away matches.
At sub £9.9M, he is value for money.


FPLH's Hot Picks XI for GW 22

Howard

Luiz-vc
Jagielka
Harte
 
Snodgrass
Hazard
Mata-c
Fellaini

Van Persie
Berbatov
Defoe

Subs:
Lloris
Pilkington
Cuellar
Martin


4/15 Hot Picks' feature in FPLH's GW Team