Thursday, 25 October 2012

FPL Hints - Gameweek 9

FPLH's GW 9 Team*

Transfers (OUT): Cech
Transfers (IN): Begovic

*FPLH reserves the right to change this team at any time. Any changes made will be confirmed on FPLH's Twitter and Facebook accounts.

 
Team Selection Reasoning

Following a bumper Gameweek 8 you would think that my team selection for Gameweek 9 would be easy?  Well no!  After much toing and froing I have decided to only make one transfer, which may come as a surprise to some.  I have sold Cech and brought in Begovic.  Despite Chelsea being top of the league they haven't kept many clean sheets.  With Terry's suspension I don't think that task will become easier for them.  Thus I decided to cut my losses and bring in a cheaper alternative.  Begovic appealed to me due to Stoke's dogged defensive "park-the-bus" system.  Moreover their upcoming fixtures are fairly kind to them as follows:

Sunderland (H) - High clean sheet potential
Norwich (A) - Moderate clean sheet potential
QPR (H) - High clean sheet potential
West Ham (A) - Mild clean sheet potential
Fulham (H) - High clean sheet potential
Newcastle (H) - High clean sheet potential
West Brom (A) - Mild clean sheet potential
Aston Villa (A) - Moderate clean sheet potential
Everton (H) - Moderate clean sheet potential

I can't stress how much I pondered over the second free transfer.  Defoe was an option, but I was worried he might tire after his European encounter.  Berbatov, Ben Arfa, Crouch, Aguero and Lennon were of interest too but I wasn't fully convinced.  I really want to get rid of Podolski but have decided to give him one more chance v QPR.  Fellaini has also lost favour with me, but I will bench him for now.  I then thought of beefing up my defence, but the overall lack of clean sheets this season was a put off.  In the end I opted to maintain the free transfer, despite the lack of captain options in my first XI.  I decided to captain Van Persie (even though he will face up to Chelsea), as he is a big game player.  Remember his hat-trick at Stamford Bridge last season?  I doubt I will score 80 points again for Gameweek 9, but never say never...

Recommended Player for Gameweek 9

Asmir Begovic

(Stoke)

Why?

Has kept 2 clean sheets from his last 3 matches 
Stoke play a very dogged defensive system
They have generous upcoming fixtures
Priced at sub 5.0 - Bargain!

Stoke's Solid Metal

FPLH's Hot Picks XI for GW 9

  Begovic (STO)

  Vermaelen (ARS)
  Riise (FUL)
  Kompany (MNC)

Nasri (MNC)
  Bale (TOT)
  Ben Arfa (NEW)
Sterling (LIV)

  Defoe / cpt (TOT)
Van Persie / vc (MNU)
  Aguero (MNC)

Subs:

  Mannone (ARS)
  Mertesacker (ARS)
  Lowton (AST)
Nolan (WHA)

5/15 Hot Picks' feature in FPLH's GW 9 Team